Characterization of environmental bacteria isolated from different surfaces at the Faculty of Dentistry in UiTM Sungai Buloh / Wan Nor Athirah Wan Adnan

Wan Adnan, Wan Nor Athirah (2019) Characterization of environmental bacteria isolated from different surfaces at the Faculty of Dentistry in UiTM Sungai Buloh / Wan Nor Athirah Wan Adnan. [Student Project] (Unpublished)

Abstract

The environmental bacteria are known as the microorganisms that are able to survive in the outside environment with few of them (10%) are disease-causing while the other 90% are non-pathogenic. In dental healthcare settings, inanimate surfaces are highly found to be contaminated with these environmental bacteria, thus, causing bacterial contamination and subsequently source of infections to the people. Therefore, the present study aimed to identify the morphology of bacteria isolated from different surfaces and to determine the bacterial species by sequence analysis of 16S rDNA. Bacteria samples were collected at the air conditioning units, walls, and windows in 6 various sampling rooms at the Faculty of Dentistry in UiTM Sungai Buloh by using sterile cotton swabs. The macromorphology of the isolates was identified on nutrient agar and the micromorphology was identified by Gram staining. Species identification was performed using PCR with universal 16S rDNA primers and was sent for sequencing. The sequence data obtained were then compared to BLAST software, according to a 98% minimum identity. In this study, 11 bacteria samples were successfully isolated. The bacterial genus identified for Isolate 1, Isolate 2, Isolate 3, Isolate 4, Isolate 5, Isolate 6, Isolate 7, Isolate 8, Isolate 9, Isolate 10 and Isolate 11 were Bacillus cereus (100%), Staphylococcus cohnii (100%), Kocuria palustris (100%), Bacillus cereus (100%), Bacillus thuringiensis (100%), Staphylococcus cohnii (100%), Bacillus cereus (100%), Bacillus subtilis (100%), Staphylococcus cohnii (100%), Staphylococcus hominis (100%), Staphylococcus cohnii (100%) respectively. In conclusion, combination of macromorphology, micromorphology and molecular approach is useful for characterization of environmental bacteria.

Metadata

Item Type: Student Project
Creators:
Creators
Email / ID Num.
Wan Adnan, Wan Nor Athirah
2015429112
Contributors:
Contribution
Name
Email / ID Num.
Thesis advisor
Yusof, Hartini
UNSPECIFIED
Thesis advisor
Mohd Sarmin, Nurul 'Izzah
UNSPECIFIED
Subjects: Q Science > QH Natural history - Biology > Genetics
Q Science > QR Microbiology > Bacteria
R Medicine > RA Public aspects of medicine > Communicable diseases and public health
Divisions: Universiti Teknologi MARA, Selangor > Puncak Alam Campus > Faculty of Health Sciences
Programme: Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology
Keywords: Environmental bacteria, bacterial contamination, infections, PCR, 16S rDNA sequencing
Date: 2019
URI: https://ir.uitm.edu.my/id/eprint/50576
Edit Item
Edit Item

Download

[thumbnail of 50576.pdf] Text
50576.pdf

Download (172kB)

Digital Copy

Digital (fulltext) is available at:

Physical Copy

Physical status and holdings:
Item Status:

ID Number

50576

Indexing

Downloads per month over past year

View more statistics

Origin of downloads